The D-Counter is a special game play system featured in Breath of Fire:Dragon Quarter, regulating the player's usage of dragon transformations.
The following actions raise the D-Counter:
- 0.01% per every about 20 steps
- 0.01% per turn in battle
- 1.0% for D-Diving (i.e. transforming into the Dragon Form)
- 2.0% per turn in battle in Dragon Form
- 1.0% per Vortex (weakest dragon attack)
- 1.25% per enemy hit by Hurricane (medium dragon attack)
- 1.5% per Twister (strongest dragon attack)
- 2.0% per every D-Charge (increasing Ryu's attack power)
Additionally, Dragon breath and D-Dash also raise your D-Counter, but the longer you use these attacks, the more it raises. Conservely, the game encourages player to not use D-Dive and keep the D-Counter as low as possible thus forcing them to play it smart against powerful Bosses. Also an important note, to defeat the final boss a high remaining D-Counter is required- as the only way to defeat it is by shattering its absolute defense (which is, worth 20000 HP) with D-Breath. Having the D-Counter too high already would render the final boss unbeatable, forcing the player to use SOL.