- This page refers to the race. For the gameplay system, see Shaman system
Shamans are a collection of people with the ability to unite with others to upgrade their powers. Each Shaman contains the essence of a particular element, bolstering the fused character's stats and potentially unlocking alternate forms that are greatly bolstered in all parameters. On their own Shamans appear to be capable of significant feats of magic within their specialized element, but rarely display this.
If a Shaman fuses with someone whose bloodline is too strong, such as a member of the Brood or Endless races, the fusion can run amok as the host's blood is brought to its utmost potency, typically with highly destructive results. As a result, neither Ryu nor Deis may fuse with Shamans.
- Sana (Sanamo in the retranslation) - Sana, the Fire Shaman, is the first Shaman you find and one of the only two Shamans require to advance in the game. She's found, along with her grandmother, upon returning to Capitan after receiving the blessing from Ray. Sana's initial attempt to fuse with Ryu briefly causes him to transform into his Fire Dragon form, destroying the surrounding woods as well as Sana's house, causing them to move in at Township and allow the player to progress the game. This event also unlocks Ryu's Puppy spells.
- Spoo (Spoona in the retranslation) - Spoo is the Wind Shaman and is found in the Sky Tower, being responsible for the strange weather phenomena there. Upon reaching her at the end and talking to her, she will go back to TownShip. Because this is necessary to progress, Spoo is the only Shaman besides Sana who must be acquired to complete the game.
- Seny (Saynie in the retranslation) - Seny, the Holy Shaman, can be found in Bando after Evrai is destroyed. She can be found by returning to Bando and going into the first cell. Seny is also the only Shaman to provide no bonus on her own, though her providing access to some of the most powerful advanced forms more than makes up for this.
- Seso (Sesso in the retranslation) - Seso, the Water Shaman, is initially trapped as a stone statue in Witch Tower. After defeating Nimufu, going back to the tower will allow the player to recruit her.
- Solo (Sollo in the retranslation) - Solo, the Earth Shaman, is significantly different in appearance from the other Shamans and the only Shaman who can be permanently missed. When prompted by the storyline, the player must give 20 donations at the shrine in Namanda. Return to Rand's hometown after Evrai is destroyed and Solo will be standing in the fields.
- Shin (Synne in the retranslation) - Shin, the Devil Shaman, is the last Shaman who can be unlocked and one of the easiest to acquire. Entering the left entrance of Infinity will put the player directly in front of her. Many of the most powerful advanced forms require Shin.
- Granny - While not a Shaman that can be used in gameplay, Granny is the grandmother of at least Sana, if not some of the other Shamans as well (as many of them refer to her as Granny). She moves in at Township along with Sana and thereafter can be talked to in order to fuse Shamans with party members.
Each Shaman, with the exception of Seny, adds 25% to one of the fused party member's stats. The bonus is calculated only when fusing, so fusions should be regularly undone and reapplied to maintain the best possible stat boosts.